Marketing Ideas for September 2021
The fall is traditionally a slow sales time for game and hobby stores. Here are some ideas for September to help keep your sales strong this season.
Below is a printable calendar for September 2021, an easy reference to help plan events, sales, and marketing. Try one or all of them, whatever feels right for your store
- National Food Bank Day
- Another great opportunity to help a local cause while also encouraging visits to your business. This would be a great weekend to run a charity event where canned and dry goods are the entry fee and donate them to your local food pantry.
- World Beard Day
- Growing an epic beard is quite an achievement. Celebrate those manly men by offering a discount for those bearded beauties. Maybe the amount of the discount is tied to the length of the beard.
- National Tailgating Day
- Almost as popular as football itself, tailgating is like having a mobile barbeque. Check with your local restaurants for a cross promotion. Or maybe you can set up a grill outside and give out free hotdogs. A good day for a creative promotion.
- National Wildlife Day
- There are tons of animal and wildlife themed games and products. If you carry any of these, why not have a special sale or demo to promote them.
- National Cheese Pizza Day
- Does anyone really need an excuse to offer free pizza to customers? Well, if you do, here it is. Nothing brings gamers in like free food. This would also make a great day to cross promote with a local pizza place. And don’t forget to stock up on those pizza themed games.
- National Read A Book Day
- If you’re stocking comic books this is a no brainer. Even if you don’t sell comics, RPG source books are a great product to push on this day. You do have to read them before you can use them.
- Labor Day
- The unofficial end of summer. One last long weekend before kids return to school and the weekly grind begins. Most major retailers are already advertising sales for this weekend – off a deal to encourage customers to stop by your small business too!
- National Beer Lover’s Day
- If you’re lucky enough to have a liquor license you’re probably already on top of this day. If you don’t, you’ve still got some options. Check with a local bar, tavern, or restaurant to see if you can host a game night with drink specials.
- Star Trek Day
- This year Star Trek celebrates 55 years. StarTrek.com will be providing lots of programming. Be sure to showcase any Star Trek products you’re currently carrying.
- National Ampersand Day
- What a great day for promoting pairs of things. Set up some bundles & sell them together. Sleeves & deck boxes. Binders & packs. Minis & paint. You get the idea.
- National Video Game Day
- Even if you’re not dealing in video games, you probably have some collectibles or tabletop games themed after some popular video games. Take advantage of this day to promote those products and possibly offer discounts.
- National Hug & High Five Day
- While it might be difficult to celebrate this day during our current situation, air-high fives are always welcome. Consider creating a display of your most huggable plush toys, or finding a way to your staff member’s accomplishments in-store or on social media.
- Grandparent’s Day
- Even Grandparents enjoy hobbies. Especially retirees. This day could be a great opportunity to welcome a new demographic into your store.
- National Bald is Beautiful Day
- Much like National Beard Day, find ways of celebrating your bald customers – and bald comic and game characters too!
- Talk Like A Pirate Day
- Aaaaaarrrrrrrrre you up for talking like a pirate all day? Pull out that hook and parrot and have some fun. Promote those pirate themed products.
- National Pepperoni Pizza Day
- If plain cheese isn’t your thing, skip the 5th and wait for today.
- Hobbit Day
- Another major franchise with a huge fan base. Have 2nd breakfast or dress like a Hobbit.Whatever you do make sure to celebrate some love to J.R.R. Tolkien’s masterpieces of fantasy fiction.
- National Singles Day
- This day is meant to celebrate all the single people in your life. However, if your store sells card singles you could have some fun with it. Maybe advertise some of those card singles like a dating site. Or parody a dating game show. Get creative.
- National Comic Book Day
- Obviously if you’ve got comics you want to push them this day. But if you don’t, take some time to celebrate the artists and creators who built the comic industry.
- National Family Day
- This is a great day to invite entire families into your store and promote games and products the whole family can enjoy.
- National VFW Day
- Take some time today to honor those veterans who not only have served our country, but continue to serve other veterans, their families, and their communities.
- National Coffee Day
- Most of us probably celebrate coffee every day, but today is the big day. Check with local coffee shops, set up a flyer swap or coupon exchange. There’s lots of ways to take advantage of celebrating everyone’s favorite wake up juice.